"The majority of airport operators are more concerned with security parameters than with economic efficiency", Juan Carlos Martín, a professor in the Department of Applied Economic Analysis at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and one of the authors of the study that has recently been published in the Journal of Productivity Analysis, tells SINC.
The database used as the basis for this research contains information provided by Spanish Airports and Air Navigation (AENA) for the years between 1990 and 1997. AENA has since stopped providing data for individual airports. "Throughout this period, Spanish airports had some productive inefficiencies in their operations, and should have been able to cope with more travellers and aircraft", claims the researcher.
Efficient cost margin estimates have been used to analyse the financial viability of each airport, and how well it has adapted to the price system adopted by AENA. The study shows that economies of scale cannot be properly achieved at the sizes studied for Spanish airports, meaning production could be higher, and cost less, if the airports were larger and served more aircraft, passengers and cargo.
One airport rather than three
"What we need to do in Spain is to redirect airport policy, with operations being concentrated in a single airport in some areas, focusing on just one airport out of the existing three in regions such as Galicia, for example."
The same problem exists in other autonomous regions such as the Basque Country, which has three airports of its own as well as being very close to those in Santander and Pamplona. The north of Spain has the highest number of airports per square kilometre of any region in Europe. "It would be much more sensible to focus on one, which could have many more connections", the researcher explains to SINC.
The research also shows that there is indeed justification for having more than one airport in the case of the Balearic and Canary Islands, since airports represent basic transport infrastructure for these archipelagos, ensuring accessibility and tourism development in the regions.
Particularly significant are the poor efficiency levels of the airport in Cordoba, which only achieved average efficiency rates of 27%, while the remaining 73% is "pure inefficiency", similar to those in Murcia and Vitoria, where the confidence interval of 95% is consistently below average, according to Martín.
This study also includes a case study carried out for the European Commission as part of the Sixth Framework Programme for Research, Technological Development and Demonstration within the coordinated GRACE (Generalisation of Research on Accounts and Cost Estimation) project.
The RWI/ISL-Container Throughput Index started off well in 2018
22.02.2018 | RWI – Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung
RWI/ISL-Container Throughput Index ending 2017 on a positive note
24.01.2018 | RWI – Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung
Animal photoreceptors capture light with photopigments. Researchers from the University of Göttingen have now discovered that these photopigments fulfill an...
On 15 March, the AWI research aeroplane Polar 5 will depart for Greenland. Concentrating on the furthest northeast region of the island, an international team...
The world’s second-largest ice shelf was the destination for a Polarstern expedition that ended in Punta Arenas, Chile on 14th March 2018. Oceanographers from...
At the 2018 ILA Berlin Air Show from April 25–29, the Fraunhofer Institute for Laser Technology ILT is showcasing extreme high-speed Laser Material Deposition (EHLA): A video documents how for metal components that are highly loaded, EHLA has already proved itself as an alternative to hard chrome plating, which is now allowed only under special conditions.
When the EU restricted the use of hexavalent chromium compounds to special applications requiring authorization, the move prompted a rethink in the surface...
At the ILA Berlin, hall 4, booth 202, Fraunhofer FHR will present two radar sensors for navigation support of drones. The sensors are valuable components in the implementation of autonomous flying drones: they function as obstacle detectors to prevent collisions. Radar sensors also operate reliably in restricted visibility, e.g. in foggy or dusty conditions. Due to their ability to measure distances with high precision, the radar sensors can also be used as altimeters when other sources of information such as barometers or GPS are not available or cannot operate optimally.
Drones play an increasingly important role in the area of logistics and services. Well-known logistic companies place great hope in these compact, aerial...
16.03.2018 | Event News
13.03.2018 | Event News
08.03.2018 | Event News
16.03.2018 | Earth Sciences
16.03.2018 | Physics and Astronomy
16.03.2018 | Life Sciences