Nanoparticle Photoinitiators for UV Curing Printing Inks, Varnishes and Glues
Conventionally, the curing or rather drying of printing inks, varnishes and glues is based on the evaporation of solvents. As an alternative, the use of photoinitiators has been established. These substances enable a fast and controlled curing without the help of solvents by the use of UV radiation. A disadvantage of the conventional molecular photoinitiators (e.g. Igaracure 651 or Darocur 1173) is that they are toxic for human beings due to their high chemical reactivity. During the UV curing process only about 10% of the substance is converted. The remaining 90 % can diffuse or migrate through the cured matrix. This causes problems, especially for the food industry because the toxic substances can merge into the food by different means.
The completely new photoinitiators for printing inks, varnishes and glues presented here are based on photo catalytic functionalized semiconductor nanoparticles. The photo catalytic activity could be increased considerably through a synergetic effect between the nanoparticle and the mediator molecule. A single nanoparticle is 700 times more efficient than a classic molecular initiator molecule. Due to its mass the particle cannot migrate through the cured matrix. The molecules which have not been converted by UV irradiation stay attached to the immobilized nanoparticle. The new photoinitiators as compared to the commercial initiators offer the opportunity to cure printing inks, varnishes and glues very fast and without the contamination of the environment.
Further Information: PDF
Universität des Saarlandes Wissens- und Technologietransfer GmbH PatentVerwertungsAgentur der saarländischen Hochschulen
Phone: +49 (0)681/302-6340
Dr. Annekathrin Seifert (Dipl.-Chem.), Dipl.-Kfm. Axel Koch (MBA), Dr. Hauke Studier (Dipl.-Phys.)
firstname.lastname@example.org | TechnologieAllianz e.V.
The most recent press releases about innovation >>>
Die letzten 5 Focus-News des innovations-reports im Überblick:
In just a few weeks from now, the Chinese space station Tiangong-1 will re-enter the Earth's atmosphere where it will to a large extent burn up. It is possible that some debris will reach the Earth's surface. Tiangong-1 is orbiting the Earth uncontrolled at a speed of approx. 29,000 km/h.Currently the prognosis relating to the time of impact currently lies within a window of several days. The scientists at Fraunhofer FHR have already been monitoring Tiangong-1 for a number of weeks with their TIRA system, one of the most powerful space observation radars in the world, with a view to supporting the German Space Situational Awareness Center and the ESA with their re-entry forecasts.
Following the loss of radio contact with Tiangong-1 in 2016 and due to the low orbital height, it is now inevitable that the Chinese space station will...
Fraunhofer Institute for Organic Electronics, Electron Beam and Plasma Technology FEP, provider of research and development services for OLED lighting solutions, announces the founding of the “OLED Licht Forum” and presents latest OLED design and lighting solutions during light+building, from March 18th – 23rd, 2018 in Frankfurt a.M./Germany, at booth no. F91 in Hall 4.0.
They are united in their passion for OLED (organic light emitting diodes) lighting with all of its unique facets and application possibilities. Thus experts in...
Oceans formed before Tharsis and evolved together, shaping climate history of Mars
A new scenario seeking to explain how Mars' putative oceans came and went over the last 4 billion years implies that the oceans formed several hundred million...
For the first time, an interdisciplinary team from the University of Basel has succeeded in integrating artificial organelles into the cells of live zebrafish embryos. This innovative approach using artificial organelles as cellular implants offers new potential in treating a range of diseases, as the authors report in an article published in Nature Communications.
In the cells of higher organisms, organelles such as the nucleus or mitochondria perform a range of complex functions necessary for life. In the networks of...
Researchers from Göttingen University discover additional function of opsins
Animal photoreceptors capture light with photopigments. Researchers from the University of Göttingen have now discovered that these photopigments fulfill an...