For over half a century the Europa-Institut has been working for Europe. The institute can look back on more than 50 years of experience in education and it is this experience that benefits our students today. The integration of Europe is reflected in the history of the Europa-Institut. The institute has opened the door to a "European career" for many of our graduates and today they show their gratitude by making themselves available to us as highly qualified lecturers. For the Europa-Institut, the long lasting tradition is at once both incentive and a commitment to always offer our students a high quality study program - because only those who are better than others can refer to their successful tradition in the future.
The cutting edge
The history of the Europa-Institut reflects a remarkable continuity. It was founded in 1951 at Saarland University long before the signing of the Treaties of Rome. The institute was to be the "crowning symbol of the entire university". It was the second institution of this sort in Europe and has accompanied the process of European Integration since its foundation.
Its special task within the framework of the university remains the same. Professor Angelloz, the first director of the Europa-Institut and second rector of the university, stated the following as our goal, "to research the Europe of the future, to teach young people educated in the traditional manner of each different country about Europe, to be a European-thinking educator for all these countries and perhaps, before long, to produce Europes driving forces."
The Europa-Institut, one of whose first professors was the French politician, scientist and pioneer in the Europe-movement, André Philip, was initially established as a university institution independent of any faculty. A two year course of studies was offered, in which students were awarded a diploma after successfully finishing the first year and later could be awarded a diploma in European Studies, after successfully concluding the second year. The institute made it possible for graduates to spend a further year working exclusively on their research topic and to earn their doctorate.
About the fine arts...
In the beginning almost all "European disciplines" were topic of study. The emphasis lay in the years 1951 and 1952 on comparative literature, philosophy, history and music. At the same time, law and economics were also part of the program. Due to the gradual integration of the European Community, the legal and political dimensions of the education on the Europa-Institut grew increasingly. At this time, the program for the Europa-Institut stated that, "at the very moment, when Europe, driven by its historical development, becomes conscious of its reality and unity, where new political, legal, economic and cultural organisms are being created and developed" it is imperative to make a European education possible.
...on law and economics
The importance of the Europa-Institut grew with the development of the European Community. In 1953 an organizational change was made with the establishment and affiliation of the diplomatic section onto the institute. The diplomatic section was to train students desiring a career as diplomat or who wished to work in the civil service of the then semi-autonomous Saarland. Later, in addition to the diplomatic department, departments for law, culture, economics and languages were established.
When Saarland joined the Federal Republic of Germany in 1957, Saarland University adopted the German university system. The Europa-Institut, which up to now had concentrated on culture and literature, was transformed into a European research-institute concentrating on law and economics, which began operating in the winter semester of 1957/58.
In the mid sixties the study program was combined to form a uniform education. The emphasis lay on the specific problems of European Integration, its instruments and methods. Law courses were the core of the program and were complemented by courses in history, politics and economics.
The Postgraduate Program "European Integration"
The graduate program, "European Integration", was established in 1980 by the department of law. Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Georg Ress and Prof. Dr. Michael R. Will were then charged with the direction of the institute. In 1991, Prof. Dr. Torsten Stein from Heidelberg and in 1999, Prof. Dr. Werner Meng from Halle were appointed directors of the institute.
Europa-Institut Sektion Rechtswissenschaft
Postfach 15 11 50
Tel: +49 (0) 681-302 4581
Fax: +49 (0) 681-302 4573
Further information: http://europainstitut.de