|History of the College
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine is an independent constituent part of the University of London.
Imperial College was established in 1907 in Londons scientific and cultural heartland in South Kensington, as a merger of the Royal College of Science, the City and Guilds College and the Royal School of Mines. St Marys Hospital Medical School and the National Heart and Lung Institute merged with the College in 1988 and 1995 respectively.
Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School merged with the College on 1 August 1997 to form, with the existing departments on the St Marys and Royal Brompton campuses, the Imperial College School of Medicine (ICSM).
On 1 August 2000 Wye College and the The Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology merged with the College. The Kennedy Institute became a Division of the School of Medicine and Wye College is now known as Imperial College at Wye.
Imperial College London
Further information: http://www.ic.ac.uk