In 1917, the first interdisciplinary brain research institute in the world was established in Munich, the "Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Psychiatrie" (German Research Institute of Psychiatry). In 1925, it was incorporated into the Kaiser Wilhelm Society, and in 1954 into the Max Planck Society as the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry. The Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry was divided into two separate institutes: the Clinical Institute, located in Munich-Schwabing, and the Theoretical Institute, since 1984 on the campus in Martinsried in immediate vicinity to the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry .The latter institute was made independent in 1997 and since January 1, 1998 bears the name Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology. It consists of four departments whose heads run the Institute as a board of directors.
The Institute is devoted to experimental research on the development, functions, and diseases of the nervous system. Emphasis is on the areas of molecular developmental biology, cellular and systems studies of neural plasticity, pathology and immunology of the central and peripheral nervous system, and information processing in the invertebrate visual system. There are many links between these main directions of scientific work, in the form of projects with overlapping themes. There are approx. 200 employees in the institute (including those funded by grants and fellowships and Ph.D. students), among them nearly 110 scientists.
Undergraduate, Graduate, and Postgraduate Studies
Opportunities are available for students of science or medicine to perform the research for their Diploma or Doctoral degrees. Application should be made to the appropriate
Max-Planck-Institut für Neurobiologie
Further information: http://www.neuro.mpg.de/