National Forum of Natural Sciencest
Founded in 1815, the Swiss Academy of Sciences, SAS, is the most important platform for the dissemination and promotion of the natural sciences. The SAS is formally recognized by the Swiss Confederation as an institution for the promotion of scientific research. It aims to:
- facilitate interdisciplinary cooperation and scientific exchange
- improve public and media awareness and comprehension for the natural sciences
- encourage the dissemination of scientific research results
- promote the full integration of women in scientific and political bodies
- cooperate in the establishment of a Swiss science policy
- encourage international scientific cooperation.
To fulfil these tasks, the SAS organizes hundreds of individual activities and events every year: conferences and symposia, publications, studies and reports, as well as public events, and maintenance of information networks. Its central concern is to raise the awareness not only of the specialists but also of politicians and generalists of the role which the natural sciences play in the solution of our society’s current and future problems.